Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I keep on fallin' in and out of love with....

....France!

First off, I'm writing this in the apt which is pretty much the best thing ever (though the quality of skype is pretty terrible)

So not much really happened this weekend, a bit of clubbing and partying, but nothing major.

On Saturday Devon, Nicole, Marit, and I went to Nice :) It was a pretty good time, but we were all exhausted from the night before. It was crazy being back in Nice, not only because I've been there before, but because how different it is in the off seeason. It was grey and empty. No gelato stands or sunshine or flowers. It was still very beautiful, though, and it definitely holds the title for my favorite place in France so far. I just feel...a susprising reverence when I go there, I suppose because of the history? Its a peaceful place with lots of character, and I CANNOT WAIT til the spring weather arrives! This past trip, we ate at the usual over-priced cafe and walked around old town, which I absolutely adore. The best thing we did all day, however, was splurging for a ferris wheel ride. The sun was setting, and between the view of the mountains, the layers of the city, and the water, it was absolutely breathtaking. I'll post some pictures, though there's no way it'll even compare. OMG it was amazing!

Yesterday Devon and I found the big Carrefour in the city. Carrefour is the commercial grocery store (but of course not nearly as extensive as Publix because they eat almost everything fresh and from local markets/bakerys), and theres an averaged-sized one closer but we kept hearing we just had to go to this one. Holy smokes it was MASSIVE. Not only was the size absolutely overwhelming, but all of Antibes was there. You know how you go to a hick town where all they have is a super walmart, so it's the most populated and frustrating place to be? Yeah. That's how it is. Only this time it was worse because we had to navigate all 60 or so aisles (not exaggerating) of labels we couldn't read. That was rough because people were really pissed off. Plus, Devon and I got stuck with a cart that had a mind of its own lol It was a beast of a trip (but it was
successful!)

Also, I made pork chops with a cinnamon/apple dressing tonight for dinner- it was amazing. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I've totally been kicking ass in the kitchen lately. Heck yes!

So you may be wondering what the title of this post has to do with any of what I've written...well the answer would be nothing lol It does relate to what's coming up, however :) I came to France with heavy, hypocritical anti-France sentiments. I resented it because it was one of my only options, I had bad experiences in Paris over the summer, and mostly because I took the language class at UF and wasn't taught well and struggled and hated it. However, it has only taken two weeks for me to fall absolutely in love with the France I've lived in. I have this mentality for a good day or two, and then something happens where the opposite mood takes over. Let me explain :)

Reasons I absolutely love this country:
-its beautiful. I'm in awe constantly. From school (gorgeous, scenic forested-mountains), Nice, Cannes, Paris (yes, even Paris), all cast in the stunning sunlight France seems to have half the time, it's hard not to appreciate what I'm surrounded by
-the food is OMG SO GOOD. I've already talked about this, so I digress. But seriously, its going to be hard to go back (plus the cheese and crackers here have become like crack to me)
-the people. They're amazing and happy and nice and cute. Especially the cliche ones :)
-This is silly, but I've found the perfect album to listen to while absorbing all this in- the Garden State Soundtrack. I know, it's ridiculous, but I love it.
-its culture of saying hello to strangers and placing value on what really matters is comforting.
-it's location. Easy access to other countries....just a flight or train ride away!
-I'm sure there will be more to come :)

and then after I sit there, riding the bus to school idealizing this new nation I live in, it hits me:
- I have to go to the grocery store annoyingly frequently
-which would be fine, but its SO EXPENSIVE!! And not just because of the terrible conversion rate, a few of our international friends have complained about how much more it is in comparison to where they come from
-entire cities shut down of Sunday...not cool at all
-nothing is really open late at night
-so much paperwork and bs fees
-buses don't run after 8pm...also really not cool (and they hardly run at all on Sundays)
-the trees without leaves make me sad. They look like giant hands reaching from the ground, but have nothing to hold or grab at. I'll try to find a pic. Okay, I just looked and couldn't find one. I'll go take a picture of one though, so you don't think I'm crazy lol
-It would not surprise me if I die from lung cancer caused by second hand smoke
- I really want a bagel, one of dad's hamburgers, a real american breakfast, cheese fries, chicken wings, burrito bros...
-the cups here are so small

All in all, the things I've complained about really aren't that of a big deal...well...not the last four anyways, and I really do like it here a lot. I'm so excited for the rest of the semester and am already worried that it's going by WAY to fast. It also makes me consider wanting to live here at some point in my life (Europe in general, not France specifically). So yeah, life is good. Devon and I are going to Paris this weekend, and I think it's going to rock pretty hard. I've forced his expectations of the city down so hopefully he won't be as disappointed as every single person I know who's ever been. It's pretty, but the people there can be so rude, and the media builds up our expectations so high, it could never live up to it, ya know?

I'm glad to hear you're all doing so well! It makes me happy to read what you write and I really appreciate you all taking time out of your day to share with me!
Til next time mes cheres! avec l'amour!
Katie

P.S. This is my shout out to Uncle Matt (like I told you at Stonewood)! Wassup?! :) They have potato chips here that are rotisserie chicken flavored and it tastes just like the skin. It reminded me of you lol Love you!


So these pictures are of the flower market in Nice ( I would just like to note, that they really should make an air freshener that smells like a flower markert and fresh baguettes. That combo was amazing when we walked through!), me in downtown Nice, views from the ferris wheel, and the club we went to Friday night.










8 comments:

  1. Katie! You rock! I hope you keep my son in line! Yes, he has let me know how expensive it is but we are still cooling down from the class schedule before we send more $. LOL!
    Kelby and I loved Paris; we were not disappointed in the least. I'm sure Devon will love it too...make sure you walk up to the museum behind the Eiffel Tower for pics and take lots of pics of Versailles.
    It sounds like you are really settling in and are going to get as much out of this experience as possible. While the rest of us slave away back in hopefully continually warming weather in Florida!
    Hmmmmm. We'll make a decision in the next week or two about flying over. Could you handle the parents?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to hear from you, Katie! I love reading your entries... you do such a wonderful job sharing your experiences with us... I feel like I am almost there with you... ie: walking through the flower market! If you happen to find a room freshener of the Flower Market - please let me know! Sending love and hugs - as always! B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say Ditto to what Barb said! I just love reading what you write - so descriptive! are you wishing there was a Publix nearby? and am I the only one who just realized your titles to your entries are names of songs?? leave it to me - I am always the last to get something! Well, Katie, it sounds like you are having lots of fun and really taking it all in (good & bad). Au revoir! Aunt Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Love You and Miss You!!! ... Reading your blog is awesome!!! I'm glad you are having a great time and tell Devon I want to see more video of you and the places you are visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Katie. Thanks for the shout out. I'm so excited to hear from you. I know Uncle Marc will be jealous.hehe.We all miss you very much, and love the blogs. I still didn't know you were using song titles, so don't feel bad Catherana. I bet Uncle Marky didn't either.hehe. Have a great time, and enjoy every moment because it will go by fast. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoooooo internet at your apartment! Nice sounds very nice. :) Would've loved to be on that ferris wheel at sunset--I bet it was breathtaking. I can totally sympathize with you guys and the stubborn shopping cart--that's happened to me like the last four times I've gone out, lol.

    The pros of France sound pretty great--glad it's exceeded your expectations so far! Everything is always a mix of highs and lows, but fortunately it doesn't sound like most of the faults are *too* serious. (Stuff like money and closed-down cities on Sunday is pretty sucky though.) Your description of the dead trees made me lol, since that's exactly what everything looks like in Tennessee right now. On the bright side, I bet your area will look beautiful once spring rolls around. :) Speaking of beautiful, I love the pictures. Paris sounds exciting--hope you guys have an awesome time over there/hope it isn't as bad as you remember!

    You probably got a lot of my news in our chat the other day. The parents/Jonathan drama is getting worse, but that isn't something to discuss here--I'll fill you in next time we talk. In addition to everything I said on the chat the other day, David now has drums for his band in the dorm/apartment. Thinking about getting a hotel room for the rest of the semester now.

    On a happier note, I saw an episode of Family Guy yesterday where they all compete on Family Feud (the deadliest of game shows) and thought of you! I also saw this on MLIA today and it took me back to senior year:

    "Today, my French class was given copies of Petit Prince. Previous owners were encouraged to write translation notes for future owners, such as my class. One student found a note that said, "In case of fire, throw this book in it." Will comply. MLIA."

    Replace the book with "As I Lay Dying" and it fits perfectly! On that note, we read "A Rose For Emily" (that weird Faulkner story) in my english class and had to write a paper on it. Sucks, but we're also reading "In the Lake of the Woods," so that helps balance it out a little.

    Anyways, so glad to hear you're still enjoying yourself! It was awesome chatting with you the other day, and don't hesitate to Skype me whenever you feel the urge! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonjour Katie!
    We're all so excited to read your stories. You're so descriptive; it makes me feel like I was there. I hope you enjoyed Paris this time. Your Dad and I loved it. We never understood how you ended up with such a bad impression. Although, we went there with low expectations ... perhaps that had something to do with it. :-) I hope you have an opportunity to visit Montmartre, the artist village just outside of Paris. It may be best to wait until the Spring to visit.

    Your Dad mentioned you might want to explore the possibility of working within the government to promote change .... lobbyist, attorney, etc. I have a friend who is a state rep, who said he would love to show you around and introduce you to several state reps, lobbyists and law firms .... if you're interested. As a side note, he also studied abroad in France when he was in college. He feels a certain kinship with you. :-) He's also very funny but his wife says I'm the only one that thinks so. But I have a tendency to laugh at most everything.

    I am so glad you are taking every opportunity to enjoy yourself. I hope the care package we sent to you both provided a little taste of home. Although, I think I would much prefer to eat there. Did someone say parent's weekend? :-)

    Nous vous aimons et nous sommes très fiers de vous.

    Au revoir!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bug!

    How was Paris? I hope you had a blast!!

    I'm trying to figure out how to ship a Cheeseburger to you, but I haven't got that figured out yet! We sent you a care package the day before your last blog, so we didn't include some of the things you are missing! (Dang it!) Oh well, hopefully there will be a few things in there that make you and Devon feel a little closer to home (but you won't be close enough for me until you are back!).

    LYMTWCS!!!

    ReplyDelete